dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

27 July 2007

Needs and Wants

by Ben

I read Proverbs 11-15.

Yes, I am back from camp and glad to be getting ready to start the fall youth events. Our summer went well at Wakonda. I suppose that I should catch you up since my last full post: God proved to be faithful. He blessed us with two lifeguards, and a full male and female counseling staff. Glory be to God. You may remember that I had worried quite a lot about that just a few months ago. Sorry Father for my lack of faith.

As for the actual summer: it went well. The kids seemed to enjoy themselves and hopefully learned something about God and prayer. We had a few minor snags over the course of the summer, but overall I think it was a successful summer. God continues to bless and teach me through the events of my life.

Now, as I set my sights on the Youth Group and our program for the next year, I return to my regular schedule of devotions. That is to say that while at camp, I connected to God, but not through the same disciplined approach that I take here on the dLog. In reading Matt's posts and making my way through Proverbs, I have been forced to think a lot about needs and wants.

I find it interesting that this topic has come up so strongly on the dLog, as I've been thinking about it a lot in relation to my ministry goals. I really want Camp Wakonda to become a successful year-round camp and conference site that serves to minister to the poor in spirit and those who don't know Christ. I really want our multi-church youth ministry to grow in both spiritual depth and numbers, helping kids to connect to Christ, but also serve as a model for other cluster groups, youth and adult, to follow. That's what I want. What do these ministries actually need to accomplish? I don't know. The reality is that if God felt it would serve His kingdom better, these two ministries could disappear. I'm happy to say that this hasn't happened yet.

I am very much looking forward to this next year in ministry for several reasons. One of which is that Camp Wakonda is finally going to take a serious look at itself to review what works, what doesn't, and what could be tweaked to be more efficient. This process will serve to improve the Wakonda ministry and ultimately strengthen all of the ministries of the church. Also, as previously mentioned regarding the Youth Ministry, we will be attempting a multi-church program. This program will be purpose-driven and address issues at age-appropriate levels. It will allow youth to go as deep spiritually as they choose.

I believe that the excitement that I feel in connection to these two ministries is directly from God. I feel reinvigorated about my work with the kids and at camp, as though I'd gone on vacation. But I haven't gone anywhere. I've just been encouraged by the work that I see God doing around me. The one thing that I have to do is keep giving God the glory and realize that He cares more about what happens to the kids and campers than I do. I have to put His needs above my wants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home