dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

16 April 2006

Descended Into Hell

Probably one of my least cheeriest titles ever, but this is something that has been on my mind over today and yesterday as I've been preparing for and celebrating the Eater resurrection. As the Apostle's creed tells us, "[Jesus] was crucified, dead, and buried. He descended into Hell. The third day he rose again from the dead." At the Easter celebration we focus very heavily on the "cruficied, dead, and buried" part as well as the "third day he rose again from the dead." But, umm, what happened to "descended into Hell"?

I think this is significant for a few reasons. Christ suffered mightily in his last 24 hours, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. But I can't imagine that, if this line is taken literally, it could have been anything compared with what Satan would have cooked up. Jesus is coming to his dungeon, with all the sins of the world draped on his shoulders. Can you imagine the glee that Satan would have had? I just seem him pressing his fingertips together, cackling, and dancing around clicking his heels together. His sworn enemy. His turf. What must he have put Jesus through in those three days?

But, here's where it's odd: I racked my brains and I can't figure out where this is mentioned in the Gospels. Luckily, the site where I looked up the Apostle's Creed has a link to some information on where this little bit of theology is derived: http://www.reformed.org/documents/Christ_in_hell/index.html

So, I guess until this little mystery is solved, all I have to say is this: Christ suffered tremendously on earth, but don't forget he spent two days in, literally, pure hell. Again and again I find my head is not nearly large enough to jam in the enormity of Christ's sacrifice. Thank God he did it anyway!

He is risen!

1 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

I've always wondered about the "Christ descended into Hell" line. I may chat with Pastor de Vries about it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home